There are several key ways to outfit your home so that your family is prepared in the event a fire breaks out. Among these are smoke detectors that will awaken sleeping residents and provide ample time for escape, and another is having operable fire extinguishers placed strategically throughout the home. However, one of the best investments a homeowner can make is to purchase a quality residential fire escape ladder that will give you and your family members the ability exit safely from a second or third-story window in the event of an emergency.
The 5 Most Popular Residential Fire Escape Ladders
- Easy to use--attaches quickly to most common windows
- Fast and easy to deploy with anti-slip rungs
- Ready for use--no tools or assembly required
- Strong and durable ladder tested to 1,000 pounds
- 13 feet long by 1 foot wide; 5-year limited warranty
- Easy to use attaches quickly to most common windows
- Tangle free design fast and easy to deploy with anti-slip rungs
- No assembly or tools are required; 5-year warranty
- Strong and durable ladder tested to 1000 lbs.
- Easy to use two-story 14-foot fire escape ladder
- Fully assembled, ready to use
- Strong steel construction, tested to 1,125 lbs
- DuPont Cordura nylon strapping for extra strength and maximum durability.
- Complies to ASTM standards; 6-year limited warranty; For sill widths of 6 to 10 inches.
- Fully assembled 24-foot fire escape ladder offers a dependable means of escape
- Durable steel and nylon construction can safely hold up to 375 pounds at a time
- Slip-resistant rungs and steel stabilizers provide a steady foothold
- Extra-wide hooks work with any windowsill measuring at least 20 inches wide, 32 inches high, and 6 to 13 inches deep
- Tested to ASTM standards
- FITS MOST COMMON WINDOW FRAMES: It'll hook to the window frame or to the sill of most windows securely and won't slip off.
- EASY TO USE AND FAST TO DEPLOY: Only weighs 8.4 pounds and It deploys in seconds. Easy to use for older kids or adults, however it'd be a bit heavy for young kids. Each ladder fits easily under a bed or in a closet near the window.
- STURDY HOOK AND STABLE DESIGN: In case of fire, you can escape quickly and easily using this ladder, because its enhanced stability and hook design.
- HOLDS UP TO 1,000 POUNDS: This ladder has been tested to 1000 pounds and it works properly when the load is distributed on more than one rung.
- PERFECT FOR 2-STORY HOMES: It extends to 13 feet for use in second-story rooms
Last update on 2017-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
There are key things to know when shopping for Emergency Fire Escape Ladders so that you can invest in the model that will best suit your particular housing situation.
House Height – Before you shop for an emergency ladder, know the exact height of your home so that you will only consider those fire escape ladders that are long enough to reach the ground from any window. Although most escape ladder products indicate whether they are suitable for two or three-story homes, it’s essential to know the exact height measurements of the house you live in so that you don’t make the mistake of purchasing an escape ladder that falls even a few feet short of the ground, increasing the risk of broken bones and injury rather than a safe escape.
Attachment Method – The Residential Fire Escape Ladder you purchase is designed to attach to your home by the windowsill. Examine the type of windowsills your home features in order to make sure that the ladder model you purchase is compatible with that sill style for proper installation. See that the ladder under consideration has two sturdy hooks that fit securely over the bottom part of the window, wedging it under the sill. Window sill compatibility is essential for the escape ladder to function properly.
Support Capacity – When choosing the right fire escape ladder, inquire about the strength and load capacity of that particular model. This ensures that the ladder structure is strong enough to support the weight of every adult or child who will be exiting your home via that ladder. Make certain that the individual rung value provided is higher than the weight of the heaviest person in your household. The total load value of the escape ladder should be high enough to support everyone in the family standing on the ladder at the same time.
Fire Resistance – You want an escape ladder designed with materials that can withstand the highest degree of heat. Look for ladder models that explain exactly why they offer the user the best resistance to open flame as well as heat.
Ease of Use – Look for an escape ladder that features an easy release mechanism. Extending the ladder in a quick and safe fashion could ultimately mean the difference between life and death. Avoid ladder models that require complicated set-ups or special instructions that can easily be forgotten when people are in panic mode. Ask if the ladder is designed for single use only.
Multiple Units – Never economize when it comes to your family’s safety! After finding the right model of Emergency Fire Escape Ladders that are long enough and strong enough for your specific needs, invest in one for every upper-story window of your home rather than just installing an escape ladder at one location.